Papers from the Climate Modelling Group
2013 May 14
- The CS Wong Commemorative Library.
- Catherine Brennan has successfully defended her
Ph. D. thesis entitled Modelling Oxygen Isotopes in the
UVic Earth System Climate Model Under Preindustrial and Last
Glacial Maximum Conditions: Impact of Glacial-Interglacial Sea
Ice Variability on Seawater δ18O.
- Ross (Cangjie) Sun has successfully defended his
M. Sc. thesis entitled Statistical Downscaling of Sea Surface
Winds Over the Global Oceans.
- Michael Shumlich has successfully defended his M. Sc. thesis
entitled Modelled Changes to the Earth's Climate under a
Simple Geoengineering Scheme and Following Geoengineering Failure.
- Andrew Weaver thanking CJ Wong, the son of
CS Wong, for the generous
donation of his father's library to the Climate Modelling Lab.
- Chris Avis has successfully defended his Ph. D. thesis
(Simulating the Present-Day and Future Distribution of
Permafrost in the UVic Earth System Climate Model)
- Aaron Culver has successfully defended his M. Sc. thesis
(Not all speeds are created equal. Investigating the linear predictability of surface winds over central Canada.)
- Jeremy Fyke has successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis
(Modelling the sensitivity of the Antarctic ice/ocean system
to climate change.)
- Dianna Porter has successfully defended her Master's thesis
(Assessing Students' Learning About Climate Change Under Two Different Conditions)
- Andrew Weaver delivered a lecture at the UBC Climate Action
Conference. He is seen here with conference attendee Jack
- Stephen Sobie has successfully defended his Master's thesis
(Climate Model Downscaling of Vancouver Island Precipitation
using a Synoptic Typing Approach)
- Justin Burton has successfully defended his Master's thesis
(Sensitivity of Iceberg Drift to Initial Size Distribution)
- Paul Spence has successfully defended his Ph. D. thesis
(Coarse Versus Eddy-Permitting Global Ocean Simulations:
Experiments With The UVic Earth System Climate Model)
- We've moved to a new building. We are now in the
Ocean, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences Building on the main campus.
- Alla Saenko successfully defended her M. Sc. Thesis
( Assessment of Wind Energy Resources for Residential Use
in Victoria, BC, Canada).
- Walter Munk visited UVic.
- Chris Avis successfully defended his M. Sc. Thesis (A Computer Model of the Discovery of Western Oceania).
- Jeff Lewis successfully defended his Ph. D. Thesis (Snowball Earth: Sensitivity to Sea Ice and Surface Albedo) three days after becoming a father.
- Shannon Carto successfully defended her Master's Thesis entitled "The Impact of Tropical Atlantic Freshwater Fluxes on the North Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation".
- Hong-yan Dang successfully defended her
Master's thesis entitled "Climate Change Detection over Different
Land Surface Vegetation Classes".
- Paul Spence graduated with his M. Sc.
thesis entitled "The Impact of Tropical Atlantic Freshwater Fluxes on the North Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation".
- Jeremy Fyke successfully defended his M. Sc. thesis entitled "The Effect of Climate Change on the Marine Methane Hydrate Stability Zone".
- Michael Roth successfully defended his Ph. D. Thesis entitled "Nodal Configurations and Voronoi Tessellations for Spectral Elements".
We are in the process of commissioning our NEC SX-6 computer.
- 13 December 2004, Congratulations
to Katrin Meissner and Maurice Bond on the birth of their daughter
- The Climate Modelling Group performed
"The Day After Christmas" at the
SEOS Christmas Party.
Steven Phipps later won in the "Best Director" Category at the IPCC Oscar Awards Ceremony.
- Katrin Meissner and Maurice Bond got married. Best wishes to them from all of us here at the lab.
- Tracy Ewen successfully defended her Ph. D. thesis.
- Jeff Lewis won the Lieutenant Governor's Silver Medal for his Master's Thesis.
The Climate lab received grant for new computing facility. Here is the media release.
- We added a solar intensity sensor to our weather station. The data will be available in the archive and on the plot pages (eg. Last 24 hours data ).
- Several members of our group attended the IUGG conference in Japan on 3 July 2003.
|Daithi Stone, Jeff Lewis, Katrin Meissner, Tracy Ewen, Damon Matthews, Nathan Gillett|
|Jim O'Brien, Klaus Wyrtki, Andrew Weaver and Kevin Hamilton, immediately following a reception with the
Emperor of Japan|
The script for our act at the latest
SEOS Christmas Party is available
The theme was a "Climate Change Fashion Show".
- 30 September, 2002. Congratulations to Julie and Phil Lobb on the birth of their daughter, Elizabeth.
- Jacqueline Dumas just returned from a research trip to the arctic. She also observed a polar bear on the ice.
Here are large (3.7 MB) and small (1.0 MB) versions of the movies (Quicktime, approximately 40 seconds).
Congratulations to Masa and Sira on the celebration of their marriage here in the Climate Lab.
Congratulations to Julie Bacle and Philip Lobb on celebration of their marriage.
Schmittner, Yoshimori and Weaver paper to appear in Science
[ Abstract ]
Some members of the climate modelling group sang our group song at the annual SEOS christmas party.
We saw a beautiful solar halo from here in Victoria.
The UVic Climate Lab had a visit from
Paul Martin, Canada's Federal Minister of Finance.
Lieutenant Governor's silver medal.